Shorthampton, All Saints Church
History, tourist information, and nearby accommodation
HERITAGE HIGHLIGHTS: A superb collection of medieval wall paintings
The parish of Shorthampton is officially The Parish of Charlbury with Shorthampton. This joint designation dates back to the 7th century, when a minster church was established at Charlbury by St Diuma. Charlbury's minster parish covered a large area which included Shorthampton. Over the centuries which followed the founding of Charlbury minster the parish was broken up, but Shorthampton remains part of the Charlbury parish over a millennium after it was founded.
For a small church Shorthampton may have more medieval wall paintings than any other I have visited. The nave is quite extraordinarily rich in medieval paintings; some are fragmentary, but many others are very clear and well preserved.
- 12th century 'lining out' - that is, a pattern not too dissimilar to modern wallpaper - outlining a 12th century window on the north wall.
- A likeness of St Frideswald, also on the north wall
- a very clear depiction of an archbishop
- a somewhat fragmentary 'Doom', or Day of Judgement painting over the chancel arch
- a painting of the Miracle of the Clay Birds, lining the squint
- a likeness of St Zita, patron of domestic servants
- painting of St Loy, patron of blacksmiths
- a fragmentary depiction of a dragon's wing, on the west wall
- an 18th century cartouche showing King Solomon's prayer
Other Heritage Highlights
The font is a very nice Norman tub, though it is unadorned with any carvings.
Address: Shorthampton, Oxfordshire, England
Attraction Type: Historic Church
Location: On a narrow lane off the B4437 just west of Charlbury
Photo Credit: David Ross and Britain Express
We've 'tagged' this attraction information to help you find related historic attractions and learn more about major time periods mentioned.
Historic Time Periods:
Find other attractions tagged with:
12th century (Time Period) - 14th century (Time Period) - 15th century (Time Period) - 18th century (Time Period) - 7th century (Time Period) - Medieval (Time Period) - Norman (Architecture) - wall painting (Historical Reference) - wall paintings (Historical Reference) -
NEARBY HISTORIC ATTRACTIONS
Heritage Rated from 1- 5 (low to exceptional) on historic interest
Chadlington, St Nicholas Church - 1.3 miles (Historic Church)
Spelsbury, All Saints Church - 1.7 miles (Historic Church)
Charlbury Museum - 1.8 miles (Museum)
Shipton under Wychwood, St Mary the Virgin - 3.3 miles (Historic Church)
Churchill, All Saints Church - 3.8 miles (Historic Church)
Churchill and Sarsden Heritage Centre - 4.2 miles (Museum)
Stonesfield, St James the Great Church - 4.4 miles (Historic Church)
Chipping Norton, St Mary's Church - 4.6 miles (Historic Church)
Nearest Accommodation to Shorthampton: