Hatford, St George's Church
History, tourist information, and nearby accommodation
HERITAGE HIGHLIGHTS: Norman south doorway
Used only occasionally for services (usually an annual service on St George's Day), this tiny Grade-II listed church is composed of solely of a nave and chancel. It once had a bell turret, but that was destroyed in 1873.
St George's dates to the 12th century, with a nave lengthened in the 13th century, and a chancel rebuilt late in that century. St George's is thought to stand on the site of an earlier Saxon church, of which no trace now remains.
The most interesting feature of the church is a very finely carved south doorway, only partially protected by a modern hood, but otherwise open to the elements. This is a wonderful example of Norman carving, with traditional Norman chevron decoration.
The east door jamb is carved with a very worn Green Man, vines flowing from his mouth. Other Norman features include the nave and chancel arch, and the font. It was here in April 1555 that Sir Edward Unton of Wadley House married Anne Dudley, Countess of Warwick.
St George's is a very simple Norman church, but the carved doorway is worth a look.
Most photos are available for licensing, please contact Britain Express image library.
Address: B4508, Hatford, Oxfordshire, England, SN7 8QQ
Attraction Type: Historic Church
Location: On the B4508. If locked, key at the Manor House beside the church.
Photo Credit: David Ross and Britain Express
NEARBY HISTORIC ATTRACTIONS
Heritage Rated from 1- 5 (low to exceptional) on historic interest
Stanford in the Vale, St Denys - 0.3 miles (Historic Church)
Charney Bassett, St Peter's Church - 2.1 miles (Historic Church)
Shellingford, St Faith's Church - 2.3 miles (Historic Church)
Buckland, St Mary - 2.3 miles (Historic Church)
Goosey, All Saints Church - 2.5 miles (Historic Church)
Faringdon Folly - 3.2 miles (Historic Building)
Longworth, St Mary's Church - 3.2 miles (Historic Church)
Baulking, St Nicholas Church - 3.6 miles (Historic Church)
Nearest Accommodation to Hatford: