Historic Churches in Britain
Illustrated Dictionary of Church History and Architecture
A visual guide to British Churches from Saxon to Victorian Gothic.
The Best Churches to Visit in Britain: a highly subjective rating of the most historic churches in Britain - those churches awarded the top score in our Heritage Rating scheme.
Our picks among historic and architecturally interesting churches:
- Patrington, Yorkshire - the perfect Decorated Gothic church
- Lower Oddington, Gloucestershire - superb 'Doom' painting
- Pickering, Yorkshire - perhaps the finest wall paintings in England
- South Dalton, Yorkshire - a Victorian Gothic gem
- Stoke Dry, Rutland - unique wall paintings and Gunpowder Plot association
- Exton, Rutland - magnificent memorials
- Barfreston, Kent - arguably the finest Norman carvings in England
What about cathedrals?
Offord Darcy, St Peter's Church
Offord Darcy, Cambridgeshire
St Peter's church stands beside a busy rail line (and also, more appealingly, it overlooks the River Great Ouse). This delightful historic building dates to the Norman period and features …
National and regional societies, charities, histories, and suggested regional resources
County Church Trusts
Many British counties and regions have a trust that cares for historic churches. This can be a great resource for finding interesting historic churches to visit.
Books and DVDs
The following list contains several books that we use regularly to plan trips and research historic churches. Links are to Amazon.co.uk
England's Thousand Best Churches , by Simon Jenkins
The Church Explorer's Handbook, by Clive Fewins
1000 Churches to Visit in Scotland , published by The Scotland's Churches Scheme.
A Little History Of The English Country Church - by Roy Strong. A lovely book. I got this for a Christmas present a few years ago, and really enjoyed it.
Discovering the Smallest Churches in England - a small book (naturally) covering some of the most appealing little churches in each county
Discovering the Smallest Churches in Wales , by John Kinross