A really lovely stay
We just spent a lovely week here at the cottage with our dog. It is a really nice situation (yes the access is bumpy but drive slowly!) with easy access to the clifftop for my daily run with the dog. The cottage was comfy and cleaned to a high standard. The appliances in the kitchen were all modern and new, Straightforward instructions as to water heating etc. The owners supplied essential items eg condiments, tea and coffee and the spice rack was well stocked. The smart TV's passed on some time as the weather was very hot (for the dog) so we spent some of the day relaxing inside. The bathroom is nice with a big shower and a bath.
Saltburn itself is a lovely place- we have visited often and my partner lived here as a child. Some very nice eateries. I am sure we will be back!
Nice for a short break
Just returned from a 3 night stay at the cottage, it is well equipped & comfortable. The cottage does need a bit of TLC. The door handle has tape round it, the blind in the master bedroom wasn?t really a blind just a piece of material hung over the blind rod. We didn?t use what is advertised as the summer house, it really didn?t look inviting or particularly safe. The garden is a wildlife garden and very overgrown but we managed to have the odd cup of tea in the garden there's a bench there so that was fine for us. I think if we had been staying longer than a couple of days it would have been nice to have the option of sitting in the summer house. There are plenty of walks on the doorstep. If walking to the beach & you are not keen on steps I would recommend using the bridlepath (found just a little walk down the lane, just past the garden for number 6) the path takes you right down to the side of the Ship Inn. Saltburn-By-The-Sea has a lot to offer it's a lovely little place.
Cosy,warm and comfortable cottage,50 yards from the cliff top,stunning views.Loved the log fire.
The kitchen is well equipped and the beds are very comfortable.
5 minute walk to the beach and the pub.
I will be stopping here again,ideal base for walking.
A delightful, restful holiday cottage, perfect for a relaxing holiday.
We cannot understand the tone of the previous two reviews.
1. The access by a track is perfectly possible to negotiate with a small car (ours is a Ford Fiesta) Of course you need to go slowly and carefully, as well as access for farm and cottages it is also a footpath, bridleway and cycle track - part of Cycle Route 1.
2. Parking - no problem, either beside the house or on the concrete area in the garden.
3. The garden is a wildlife garden so don't expect it to look like a suburban lawn and garden. We enjoyed the wild flowers, birds and insects that frequent the garden.
4. The cottage was clean to a high standard. We enjoyed the cottagey feel and do not expect everything to match. The doors are the original doors, but it is still cosy, and the heating is there at the flick of a switch. Give it half an hour and you're warm as toast! It's not a palace, just a modest holiday cottage which we found delightful. Everything we expected was there and we had no need to go out and buy anything that we considered should have been provided.
5. The walk into town. Yes you need to be fairly fit, but the name 'Cliff Top Cottage' gives you a clue. I am 71 years old and it took me just 20 minutes to walk down the cliff path - or steps - and up the steps into town. The bus service is brilliant and stops at the bottom of the path, near the Ship Inn, or at the end of the lane if you want to avoid going up or down hill. Even my husband, currently with a bad ankle injury, managed the walk into town - though it took him a bit longer! (We only used the bus when we had shopping to carry back or were going further afield to enjoy the walk back along the cliffs.)
6. Local walks along the cliff, to Staithes or beyond, or north along he beach to Redcar are stunning. The cottage is situated virtually on the Cleveland Way National Path.
7. The town is a Victorian gem.
On a positive note this end terrace house/cottage has lovely views of the surrounding countryside and is in a very peaceful and quiet location. You will need to be fit to stay here as both paths down to the beach and town are very steep. If going by car, be aware that the track leading to the property is very uneven and narrow and half a mile long. I was worried about bottoming the car in some areas of the road due to the wear on the track and a 4 wheel drive would be better. You will have to reverse for quite a distance in order to let any oncoming vehicles past too as there are few passing places and it is only a cars width.
The large double bed was comfy, the sheets and supplied linen were clean. The TV is new and so is the cooker, freezer, fridge and washer. The bathroom is newish and apart from poor water pressure in the shower was adequate with plenty of available hot water. The garden is a wildlife friendly garden and I quite liked it, the grass path is kept short and runs around the garden. The pots and pans look newish and there is plenty of cutlery etc.
Unfortunately the whole experience was let down by the poor level of general cleanliness and poor shoddy fixtures and fittings. On arrival the kitchen tables wooden top felt sticky to the touch. We could not find any place matts or table cloths. We eventually bought a table cloth in town. The sink has no draining board. The door knobs throughout the property felt that they will come off at any moment and are ill fitting and loose. The skirting boards, especially on the staircase needend a good wipe down and areas of the bathroom floor were dirty around the sink. Heaven help anyone sleeping in the small bedroom as the wind whistled through the badly fitted window and there was a 5mm crack running through the door panel. The lounge in particular is in desperate need of the services of a decorator, I have never seen such shoddy painting and add to this the uncomfortable seating and non matching furnishings I found sitting in the lounge both depressing and uncomfortable. I would certainly not recommend the cottage and when we saw the bad weather forecast we decided to come home after 5 days as we could not entertain the thought of another two days rained in there.
A Holiday Lettings verified reviewer